Thursday, October 9, 2008

Archduke

REUSE:
Franz Ferdinand /Music



I'm a horrible blogger, I know. I haven't posted regularly, but it's because I've been too busy going to concerts and studying for midterms (mechanical engineering = death). But I just have to brag about the show that I went to tonight. Luckily, I got a ticket from craigslist to the secret Franz Ferdinand show an hour before doors opened.

They performed at the Music Hall of Williamsburg, which, by no surprise, has an eerily similar layout and feel to Bowery Ballroom. It was my first time in Williamsburg (aka Hipster Mecca or "This place is so gentrified it can't be Brooklyn"), so I found it a bit ironic that I was there to see a band with such mainstream success.

After the awful opening act, they got on stage with a song called 'Ride Together' from their new album. Kapranos announced that the album will be called Tonight. I also read on NME that it's meant to be a dance album, with beat rates that are more dance-friendly than their previous You Could Have It So Much Better. But even with the new material, they had retained their old sound by using their signature guitar riffs and sensibilities.

via SoundBitesNYC

Franz Ferdinand is a cute band with a very likable aesthetic. I feel like it borrows a lot from the 70's, but even when not, the entire band always has a tailored look. This was my second time seeing them (first being the crazy outdoor performance at Pentaport Rock Festival two years ago). Tonight's show was much more intimate because it was at a small venue with an older audience, but I think some of the bloody brits went a bit crazy behind us... as usual.

Setlist that I attempted to compile:
Ride Together*
Michael
Tell Her Tonight
Turn It On*
Dark of the Matinee
Send Him Away*
This Boy
Katherine Kiss Me*
Take Me Out
40'
Ulysses*
What She Came For*
Outsider
On Fire
*=from Tonight

Play some of their new tracks:

I'm excited for their new album!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You Will Sieze is Ulysses...played between take me out and 40 ft and then what she came for. great show.

i liked the opening band, actually.