Monday, October 27, 2008

CMJ: Friday at Glasslands Gallery [10/24/08]

So I get off the L train on Bedford Ave, and as I enter the twilight zone of Billyburg, I remember that forget to bring a fake ID. "Shit, shit! How the hell am I getting into this 21+ show?" After freaking out for a bit, I just decided to go and make up some excuse about having lost my ID, but I was still nervous as I walked to the venue. But once I saw the obscure entrance to Glasslands Gallery (we spent about 3 minutes trying to figure out if it really was the entrance), I was 300% sure they wouldn't give a shit even if I looked like I were prepubescent. And I was right, they just stamped my hand with no questions at all. What is with this 21+ nonsense? America is wack.

RECYCLE:

Netherfriends /Music


Netherfriends - Tac Tac
Netherfriends - Stop Smoking Asshole Cigarettes

This Chicago based band lists their music under Psychedelic, Pop, and K-POP in their myspace page. But the only Korean thing about the band is their former Korean member and a track that alludes to the Korean War. Well I'm not too good at describing music (more of a visual arts person really...) and explaining Netherfriend's combination of psychedelic, experimental, noise rock is pretty much beyond my mental capacity. But I can tell you that it's all weird, good, and fun at the same time.

Yet another band to keep a look out on. Buy them on iTunes!

RECYCLE:

Miracles of Modern Science
/Music


Miracles of Modern Science - MR2
Miracles of Modern Science - Eating Me Alive

I've posted about MOMS before. Great show! It's very entertaining live. Here's a more detailed summary of the show by the-more-serious-music-lover-M. They released their EP this week at amazingwow, go go download!