Sunday, August 3, 2008

Frankly, Good Stuff Comes from Korea

Motorola PEBL VU20 /Mobile Phone

The PEBL is seriously ancient (released originally in 2005), so I was confused when a phone with the same moniker was introduced in Korea a few days ago. But us hangookins never leave us disappointed. The new, updated PEBL, designed by the Korean team, has an external touch screen display that lights up through the glossy exterior. It's definitely targeted at female consumers, but everything else about it is so sexy that the I might not mind the color so much. Plus, it sports a standard 3.5mm headphone jack which is a HUGE PLUS. (One day I'm gonna go on a crusade to burn all cellphones with 2.5mm headphone jacks... maybe shove some up the asses of the people who decided to include them on phones in the first place.) You just might have to watch the video to understand.






좋은놈, 나쁜놈, 이상한놈: The Good, the Bad and the Weird (2008) /Film
Rating: 7/10

Korea's most expensive film up to date (17 million USD), The Good, The Bad and The Weird, has been getting quite the buzz recently. Labeled as an oriental western (I came up with this term by myself while watching the movie, and I felt so proud... until I found out that it was already coined a long time ago), the film is set in 1930's Manchuria. It's not a great movie and I know most people hate it for its lack of a plot and unnecessary violence. In fact, I was one of the few who genuinely enjoyed the film in its entirety. I thought it's rather simple plot had an appropriate, quick pace and were accommodated by adrenalin pumping action scenes. The story could have been much more profound, had it attacked any of its underlying themes, ranging from 'revenge' to the' loss of one's motherland.'

However, I think the cinematography was pretty amazing. I'm not surprised since the director, Ji-Woon Kim, has proved his aesthetic prowess behind the camera with his summer horror flick 장화홍련 (A Tale of Two Sisters). I highly recommend both movies, but make sure to see The Good, The Bad and The Weird in theaters now in Korea or in early 2009 during the limited US release.



FRANKMUSIK /Music


Probably one of my favorite up-and-coming DJ acts. Surprisingly, I like both his remixes and original works. It's a pity that he's only had a few EPs and collaborations released until now, because I just can't get enough of it. This English boy has developed an interesting sense of style. You can tell once you head over to his myspace page or website, and you should pick up some of his free samples while you're at it.

Video for '3 Little Words'


(Update: Apparently the video can't be played when embedded, but it opens up a new window to the Youtube page)

Please come to New York Vincent Frank.

No comments: