Sunday, August 10, 2008

Crafting Such Great Heights

REUSE:
MSTRKRFT /Music


Disco Dust recently posted MSTRKRFT's newest remix and it's of Green Light by John Legend feat. Andre 300. I'm not too fond of the 'mixee' John Legend (maybe because he's ugly? I saw him perform live at school and it didn't do anything for me) but I'm still digging this track. However, the MSTRKRFT remix that I most shamelessly listened to was of Jesse McCartney's Leavin'.

I saw MSTRKRFT in Webster Hall back in May, and although it wasn't crazy packed like it was for Justice, it was equally amazing... I HAD SPACE TO DANCE. Towards the end, the crowd flooded the stage and I couldn't see them anymore :(. Although, I do remember this fat girl trying to get on stage for literally five minutes. I couldn't stop laughing, but a couple of nice lads gave her some help and pushed her up on stage. That was our cue for me and my friends to leave and get some scrumptious Yakitori in St. Marks.

I think most people agree that the Brooklyn based Canadian (thanks doinwork) duo's original tracks aren't as impressive as their remixes, but they aren't too shabby either. The single 'Easy Love' deserves a listen.


REDUCE:
Radiohead/Music

All music lovers are surprised when I tell them I don't like Radiohead. In fact, I only knew 'Creep' and 'High and Dry' by the band until they made the public stunt with giving out free digital copies of In Rainbows. I was intrigued. I listened to it, wasn't impressed and it was soon deleted.

Around the time they released the second CD for the album, my friend urged me to try them out again. This is when I tried to identify exactly why I don't like them. I can't say for sure, but I think it's Thom Yorke's voice that I find annoying. And their new experimental sound has this darkness that makes me feel uneasy - queasy almost.

You can't say that I didn't try. But honestly, they can stay as "the band that sings Creep" forever in my mind.

Here's Kermit singing that song:



RECYCLE:
Heights (2005) /Movie
Rating: 10/10


One of the most underrated movies of recent times, Heights closely follows the lives of five different New Yorkers in the span of twenty-four hours. It's loosely based on a short play by Amy Fox, who also penned the screenplay for the film.

There's just something really human about each character in the movie, and you would be able to identify with at least one of them. The cinematography and editing gracefully complements the intricate plot. Even if you don't like the whole drama aspect, it packs a few surprisingly funny moments that you shouldn't miss out on.

Trailer:


Did I also mention that it has an amazing cast? Elizabeth Banks, James Marsden, Jesse Bradford and Glenn Close. It even has a cameo by Rufus Wainwright!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MSTRKRFT is from Toronto, in canada. FACTS!!